Tthe long weekend in August are among the past week’s trending searches on Yahoo! Philippines.
1. Lovi Poe. In a recent interview with Yahoo! OMG! Philippines, Lovi Poe — daughter of the late King of Philippine Movies Fernando Poe, Jr. and model Rowena Moran — said she believes her father was the real winner in the 2004 presidential polls. The controversial elections that catapulted former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to power is again in the public mind after Senator Chiz Escudero, campaign spokesperson of Lovi’s father in the 2004 campaign, presented to the Senate media and staff a video documentary reminiscent of the “Hello Garci” controversy. “Hello Garci” refers to a taped phone conversation between a man believed to be then Commission on Elections (Comelec) Commissioner Virgilio Garcillano and a woman that sounded like Arroyo discussing how to rig the results of the elections. In 2005, Arroyo denied cheating and said she was only protecting her vote when she called a Comelec commissioner. For Lovi, however, “The truth is coming out.” Lovi is in the cast of the remake of Joey Gosiengfiao’s “Temptation Island.” After “Captain Barbell,” which ended last week, Lovi will be seen next in GMA-7’s mini series “Mistaken Identity.” She is also a regular host of “Party Pilipinas.”
2. PAGASA. Filipinos depended on PAGASA for weather updates as a series of typhoons hit the Philippines. Tropical storm Juaning, which left the country last Thursday, killed at least 66, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council. While Tropical depression Lando has already weakened into a low pressure area over the West Philippine Sea, Typhoon Kabayan is still bringing rains and causing floods in some parts of Luzon. Searches related to PAGASA and typhoons included “suspension of classes” and “CHED.”
3. John Lloyd Cruz and Shaina Magdayao. Real-life couple John Lloyd Cruz and Shaina Magdayao make it to this week’s list of trending searches after he declared that she is the “number one most beautiful woman” for him. Shaina ranked 61st on FHM Philippines’ 100 Women in the World 2011, while John Lloyd topped YES! Magazine’s 100 Most Beautiful Stars this year.
4. Chris Evans. Thirty-year-old American actor Chris Evans plays the Marvel Comics character Captain America and his alter ego Steve Rogers in “Captain America: The First Avenger.” Also known as the “Human Torch” in other Marvel films “Fantastic Four” and “Fantastic Four: The Silver Surfer,” Chris will reprise his Captain America role in the upcoming movie “The Avenger.” Chris also starred in the 2001 teen parody film “Not Another Teen Movie.”
5. PNoy’s Sona. President Noynoy Aquino’s State of the Nation Address was still a hit among netizens a week after it was delivered. Yahoo! Philippines users were particularly interested in the SONA fashion — or who wore what during the event.
6. Incubus Live in Manila. More than 8,000 fans watched the Philippine leg of the “If Not Now, When? World Tour” of the American band Incubus on Thursday at the Araneta Coliseum, according to ABS-CBNNews.com. Before the concert, a text message alleging that the band was demonic circulated in Manila and asked for prayers to prevent the band from coming. The text message explained that incubus means an evil spirit that lies upon sleeping women to have sex with them. Members of the band just shrugged off the allegation, and based on the concert’s turn out, their fans did the same. Thirty Seconds to Mars, another American band, also held a concert in Manila on July 29.
7. August 29 and 30 Holiday. Malacañang recently reiterated that August 29 and 30 are official holidays, to the delight of Filipinos who love to have long weekends. August 29, the last Monday of August, is National Heroes Day, while the following day is Eid’l-Fitr or the end of Ramadan.
8. Azkals vs. Kuwait. The World Cup dream is over for the Philippines and its national football team — at least for now. The Azkals lost 1-2 to Kuwait’s Al-Azraq in their home game Thursday night at the Rizal Memorial Stadium. Their lone goal was courtesy of Filipino-German Stephan Schrock, who missed the first leg along with Azkals team captain Aly Borromeo due to a suspension. The Azkals also lost the first leg with no goal against Kuwait’s 3. With an aggregate score of 5-1 in favor of the Kuwaitis, the Philippines will no longer compete in the third round of the 2014 World Cup Asia playoffs. Despite this, the Palace congratulated the team that reignited the Filipinos’ interest in football: “We know that this will not be the end. This may be the end of the campaign for this year but certainly we know and we have confidence that the team will bounce back,” deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said. The Azkals is now preparing for the 2012 Asian Challenge Cup.
9. Mario Maurer. Last month, news broke that Thai model-actor Mario Maurer will be coming to the Philippines to endorse local clothing brand Penshoppe. Last week, the local social media scene was abuzz with rumors that he will do a movie with ABS-CBN actress Erich Gonzales. But Joyce Ramirez of Publicity Asia, the group that will bring Maurer to the country, said the selection of Maurer’s leading lady has yet to be finalized.
10. Ramadan 2011. In preparation for the Islamic month of fasting, Yahoo! Philippines users started searching for Ramadan a week before it officially started. At the start of the observance, President Aquino released his Ramadan message: “I wish the Muslim-Filipino community a renewal that transcends this holy month. Our fellow countrymen are one with you in contemplating the importance of serenity in the fulfillment of our spiritual obligations.”